EP022 Find Your Creative Groove by Advocating
What a year! It seems fitting that this was my fifth year as an advocate. I increased my efforts each year for five years. This year, I took the biggest leap of all: I started my podcast and blog.
Duration: 4:32 Minutes
What a year!
It seems fitting that this was my fifth year as an advocate. I increased my efforts each year for five years. This year, I took the biggest leap of all: I started my podcast and blog.
This creative effort required several things of me:
- Be brave
- Use my talents and skills
- Speak my truths
<smile> And oh, what a glorious and magnificent feeling this is! I wish you could feel the gratitude in my heart. Oh, wait! But you could!
You ask how? Well, my answer is this: You have deep inside a creative soul wishing to soar!
If you wish to advocate for some Greater Good, go for it! What are you waiting on?
Here’s the thing: You have a skill, talent or life wisdom that the world needs desperately. The question, which may feel like a puzzle at this moment, is how do you contribute your beautiful energy and talents with the world?
And specifically, who might you advocate for?
- One individual
- A local community
- A local non-profit
- A national effort
- A global social change movement
Ways to do this:
- Social media: Follow and share posts of your favorite non-profit group. This raises awareness and educates others who may then contribute in some way.
- Local Meetup groups: Learn a new skill and meet new friends by attending a meeting of your choice (my choices included a podcast meetup and a WordPress meetup to help me build my website)
- Follow potential mentors: Read their books, watch their YouTube presentation. Seek answers by watching experts model their wisdom and strategies for making our world a better place.
Here’s the bottom line on my decision to become an advocate. My fears were overpowered by my desire to show up and contribute to the world. My fears became a non-issue in the big scheme of things.
Sure, I still get butterflies in my stomach. Some days are scary when I’m trying something new.
But that dissolves once I write a new essay or a new podcast. Courage and determination can conquer fears. This is true in my life. There’s no reason it won’t be true in yours.
By helping others through advocacy, we actually help OURSELVES! My heart is bigger, my eyes are open, and my life is enriched beyond measure.
Welcome to the world of advocating! May 2019 be the year you find your creative groove in the service of others.